Date update rate difference between Taurus and Atk

Hi,
As a beginner, I'm learning Tango by playing on the TangoVirtual Box (9.3). Following the tutorial, I made a simple device server with a device with an attribute that shows a self-increasing value with a step of 1, that is, Temperature = Temperature + 1.

One thing strange is that: There is a difference of data display rate between Atk and Taurus Form, when I put both them on the screen(Please see the photo attached). The Atk updates date with step of 1, and Taurus with step of 4. I looks Taurus is "slower".

So, did I miss any parameter of Taurus I could tune to make it faster? My goal is to use Tango with Taurus as HMI to display data on real equipment, since it is only virtual box now, so will the "slow" rate happen on real computer? If it skips some data when reading, will it also skip some writing data, such as a command?

Please refer following photo attached, thank you.
Hi Ding,

I imagine that your device server is self increasing the Temperature attribute value every 1 s. In this case what must happen is that ATK panel uses a polling period of 1 s and Taurus uses a polling period of 3 s (here don't confuse Taurus polling with Tango polling. Taurus polling is executed in the client process and Tango polling is executed in the server process). These are just default values. In Taurus you can change this period programmatically. There is no technical reason that would prevent Taurus going faster.

Tango attributes emitting events are not polled by Taurus. All events reaching the client are showed on the GUI.

Writing attributes and executing commands is not related with the polling period. All of them are always executed.

Hope this helps,
Zibi
zreszela
Hi Ding,

I imagine that your device server is self increasing the Temperature attribute value every 1 s. In this case what must happen is that ATK panel uses a polling period of 1 s and Taurus uses a polling period of 3 s (here don't confuse Taurus polling with Tango polling. Taurus polling is executed in the client process and Tango polling is executed in the server process). These are just default values. In Taurus you can change this period programmatically. There is no technical reason that would prevent Taurus going faster.

Tango attributes emitting events are not polled by Taurus. All events reaching the client are showed on the GUI.

Writing attributes and executing commands is not related with the polling period. All of them are always executed.

Hope this helps,
Zibi

Hi Zibi,

Thank you for showing me the direction to improve it. Yes, I also think it is caused by the client side. I will go through the Taurus document to find the code for the polling time, and see if I can improve it.

Thanks,
Ding
Hi Ding,

You can also change the default polling period with the command line argument.
In this example I use a taurus eval attribute, but it applies in the same way for tango attributes:

╰─>$ taurus –polling-period=1000 form "eval:rand()"
╰─>$ taurus form "eval:rand()"

Cheers,
Zibi
zreszela
Hi Ding,

You can also change the default polling period with the command line argument.
In this example I use a taurus eval attribute, but it applies in the same way for tango attributes:

╰─>$ taurus –polling-period=1000 form "eval:rand()"
╰─>$ taurus form "eval:rand()"

Cheers,
Zibi

Hi Zibi,
Thank you for the help. It will take me some time to learn a little deeper of this system, and then I'll try these commands.

Regards,
Ding

Register or login to create to post a reply.