Usage of logging

Hi Philippe,

logging_target property is a Tango system property. (you see it in jive in your device properties only if Edit menu –> Show system property is ticked).
This is a property which can be defined for any Tango device.
When you change the "Logging target" on the "Logging" node of your device in jive, this will write this "logging_target" system property for your device in the Tango Database.
So "logging_target" is a Tango specific system device property, not specific to the TdbArchiver.
dsPath and dbPath are probably some TdbArchiver device properties and are probably specific to the tdbArchiver class.
You should probably refer to tdbArchiver class documentation to get more details about what these properties are doing.

Hoping this helps a bit.
Reynald
Rosenberg's Law: Software is easy to make, except when you want it to do something new.
Corollary: The only software that's worth making is software that does something new.
Thank you for your fast & detailed answer Reynald, this is always interesting (and happy new year) smile

Reynald
Hi Philippe,
logging_target property is a Tango system property. (you see it in jive in your device properties only if Edit menu –> Show system property is ticked).
I just ticked Show system property, but after a few tests, I saw the Logging_target property whatever the "Show system property" is ticked or not (however, the device is stopped).

Reynald
This is a property which can be defined for any Tango device.
When you change the "Logging target" on the "Logging" node of your device in jive, this will write this "logging_target" system property for your device in the Tango Database.
So "logging_target" is a Tango specific system device property, not specific to the TdbArchiver.
dsPath and dbPath are probably some TdbArchiver device properties and are probably specific to the tdbArchiver class.
You should probably refer to tdbArchiver class documentation to get more details about what these properties are doing.
It is not in the ArchivingRoot doc, but I'll contact development just in case…

Reynald
Hoping this helps a bit.
Reynald
Indeed, I didn't noticed the "show system property" until now. :)
By chance, is it described somewhere in the doc?

A more general question: can "Logging_target" be rewritten by the device? I mean is it possible that whatever is the value of Logging_target, the content of logging file is written somewhere else by the device?
- Philippe
Happy new year Philippe!

philippeg
A more general question: can "Logging_target" be rewritten by the device? I mean is it possible that whatever is the value of Logging_target, the content of logging file is written somewhere else by the device?

I think it is possible.
One can always invoke AddLoggingTarget command on the admin device when it is running to add a file logging target.
It can be done programmatically with the Tango::Logging::add_logging_target() methods as well I think.

https://tango-controls.gitlab.io/cppTango/classTango_1_1Logging.html#a6da309691c22fb4ebe3a82d790b61d05

Hoping this helps.
Reynald
Rosenberg's Law: Software is easy to make, except when you want it to do something new.
Corollary: The only software that's worth making is software that does something new.

Register or login to create to post a reply.