How to declare my device in the tango-database?

Hello,every one.(I come from a non-English speaking country.So I hope you can understand my English)
I'm a novice of TANGO.And I have installed TANGO on Ubuntu.

I followed these steps from Official website.

To use TANGO Controls the basic steps are:
1.Download TANGO Controls and install it
2.The easiest is to install it from a binary package either for Linux Debian based system (e.g. Ubuntu or Debian) or Windows.
3.Develop a device server for your hardware/ software or re-use one of the existing device servers on SourceForge or elsewhere
4.Declare your device e.g. my/device/1, in the TANGO database, and start the device server on the computer which can access the hardware / software
5.Start Jive on the same or a different computer and to your device. Right click on the device icon and start the generic monitor panel - atkmoni

But I encountered some difficulties in the 4th step.I even do not know where to start.
So how to declare my device in the tango-database?(Ubuntu)

thank you all!

Dear Tuo,

You can use jive to declare your device server
In jive, click on the edit menu, then "create server"
In the pop up window you will have to give the following information:
1) name of your server/the name of the instance you want to create e.g. MyServer/MyInstance
2) the name of the class instanciated by the server e.g. "MyClass"
3) the name of the device you want to export. "Tuo/first/device"

Note that the name of the server is the name of the executable, while the name of the class is the name of the class you instanciated in your server. In simple servers these 2 names are identical. But one single server can instanciate several different classes.
I hope it helps

Cheers
Jean-Michel
Hi,

You can also use the "Server Wizard" in "Tools" menu.

First, it will ask for the Server Name(MyServer) and the instance name(MyInstance).
Then, it will ask you to start your device server. So in a command/terminal, launch MyServer MyInstance
Click on next.
Now you can select which class you want a device from.
Choose it and click on declare device.
You will be asked for a device name, which is composed by 3 fields separated by '/'.
Depending on your device code, you will be able to enter values for the device properties.
Click on finish and that's it.

Jean-Michel way is technically the same thing as when you use the wizard. I just find that this wizard is very easy to use.
wTuo
Hello,every one.(I come from a non-English speaking country.So I hope you can understand my English)

2.The easiest is to install it from a binary package either for Linux Debian based system (e.g. Ubuntu or Debian) or Windows.
3.Develop a device server for your hardware/ software or re-use one of the existing device servers on SourceForge or elsewhere
4.Declare your device e.g. my/device/1, in the TANGO database, and start the device server on the computer which can access the hardware / software
5.Start Jive on the same or a different computer and to your device. Right click on the device icon and start the generic monitor panel - atkmoni

But I encountered some difficulties in the 4th step.I even do not know where to start.

thank you all!

Dear Tuo,

Welcome to the community.

Here is the Jive Documentation link:
Jive Doc

I am also attaching a document with this post which may help you in creating device servers. The examples are implemented on Java and it may help you with the basics of Tango Control System.

There are updates released after this documentation, so it may not be the same with the current version but you may get some good idea from it.

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,
Jyotin
Edited 8 years ago
Hi,

There is a small step-by-step tutorial on how to define a Tango server via jive here.

Hope it will be helpful. Just ignore the TomCat related stuff.

Regards

Edited 8 years ago
Jean-Michel
Dear Tuo,

You can use jive to declare your device server
In jive, click on the edit menu, then "create server"
In the pop up window you will have to give the following information:
1) name of your server/the name of the instance you want to create e.g. MyServer/MyInstance
2) the name of the class instanciated by the server e.g. "MyClass"
3) the name of the device you want to export. "Tuo/first/device"

Note that the name of the server is the name of the executable, while the name of the class is the name of the class you instanciated in your server. In simple servers these 2 names are identical. But one single server can instanciate several different classes.
I hope it helps

Hismile,thanks for your enthusiastic response.But I don't quite understand the concept of class.What is class and what does it do?
Po!
wTuo

thank you all!

Dear Tuo,

Welcome to the community.

Here is the Jive Documentation link:
Jive Doc

I am also attaching a document with this post which may help you in creating device servers. The examples are implemented on Java and it may help you with the basics of Tango Control System.

There are updates released after this documentation, so it may not be the same with the current version but you may get some good idea from it.

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,
Jyotin

Thanks for your response and attach! I think it will help me a lot!smile
Ingvord
Hi,

There is a small step-by-step tutorial on how to define a Tango server via jive here.

Regards
Thanks for your response and your useful tutorial.smile
Ingvord
Hi,

Regards

I have followed your tutorial.But I have some questions.
1. step 5:start TomCat what is TomCat in your tutorial?(sorrysmile,I'm a novice.I think I may miss something if I ignore it.)
2. Is your device test/json/0 a hardware? if I don't have a device at present,Can I create a virtual device on my PC(So that I can do some follow-up learning)?

Thanks!

wTuo,

Tomcat is the Apache web server (http://tomcat.apache.org/). If you don't know what it is you can use the internet to find out. If you had read Igor's answer you would have seen he said ignore the bit about tomcat! Have you read any of the Tango documentation? Followed any of the Tango tutorials on the web? If not you will waste a lot of your and our time asking questions which are already answered in the documentation. You MUST read before you leap.

You need a Tango device server. You need to write one Tango device server either using Pogo or by hand (Python is the easiest way to write a device server). Alternatively you can use the TangoTest one which is part of the distribution.

You have multiple examples of device servers on the TANGO virtual machine. Have you downloaded the virtual machine and played with it? It contains a fully configured TANGO installation.

What do you want to use TANGO for i.e. what problem do you try to solve?

Andy

Register or login to create to post a reply.