PyTango 9.3.1 release

Hi all,

We're pleased to announce pytango-9.3.1 is now released:

This is mainly a bugfix release, with improvements for Python 3, and some documentation. The inclusion of Windows builds is significant.

See the full list of changes and bug fixes on the GitHub release page.

For those doing packaging for Linux distributions, note this issue.

Thanks to all the contributors, and especially Tiago Coutinho for helping with the release.

Cheers,
Anton
Dear Anton + Tiago,

thank you for this good news! I just did a simple test it on my Windows laptop and it works - well done! Installing pytango on Windows is now as easy as Linux! Thank you for this updated release (including documentation) and taking care of the Windows release too. Thanks to everyone who helped and contributed to the release with bug fixes, recipes, etc. This is a great service to the community!

I noticed that PyTango version is 9.3.1 and cppTango is 9.3.3. But as you pointed out this is not an issue as they are compatible. One minor question I have is why is numpy and boost listed as version 0.0.0 in some places (see below)?

On my laptop I have this output for tango.utils_info():

PyTango 9.3.1 (9, 3, 1)
PyTango compiled with:
Python : 3.6.8
Numpy : 0.0.0
Tango : 9.3.3
Boost : 1.70.0

PyTango runtime is:
Numpy : 1.16.3
Tango : 9.3.3
Boost : 0.0.0

PyTango running on:
uname_result(system='Windows', node='LAPGOTZ', release='10', version='10.0.17763', machine='AMD64', processor='Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9, GenuineIntel')

Cheers

Andy
Hi Andy

Thanks for testing on Windows. I'm not sure why some versions show up as 0.0.0 - probably something missing in our Windows build steps. I'm sure Tiago can fix it! On Linux we see Numpy versions for both, but Boost is also 0.0.0 for runtime (not sure it that has ever been different).

>>> print(tango.utils.info())
PyTango 9.3.1 (9, 3, 1)
PyTango compiled with:
Numpy : 1.16.2
Tango : 9.3.2
Boost : 1.67.0

PyTango runtime is:
Numpy : 1.16.2
Tango : 9.3.2
Boost : 0.0.0

PyTango running on:
uname_result(system='Linux', node='9f290e95fd04', release='4.9.125-linuxkit', version='#1 SMP Fri Sep 7 08:20:28 UTC 2018', machine='x86_64', processor='x86_64')
Edited 4 years ago
Hi all,

Thanks for testing!

PyTango reporting Boost runtime 0.0.0 is expected (by me smile). Boost library has no API capable of giving its own version (see a question I made 5 years ago in stackoverflow: how to find boost runtime version).

Regarding numpy I need to check what is the problem.
(I am going on vacation today so it might take few weeks to get this last one sorted out)
Hi,

which libtango version is required for PyTango 9.3.1?

In `pytango/README.rst` it is written

libtango >= 9.2

Or it should be 9.3?
Hi Jan,

Major and minor versions of libtango and pytango should match.

So, pytango 9.3.x should use libtango 9.3.y

You might succeed in compiling pytango 9.3 with libtango 9.2 headers for example.
libtango is supposed to have ABI compatibility between minor versions but in the past there were exceptions so I strongly advice against doing this.
Thanks Tiago.
Edited 4 years ago

Register or login to create to post a reply.