PyTango 8.1.7

In the repos there is a tagged version 8.1.7 of PyTango and the official documentation refers to it as the latest version. This has been the case for months, but it has not been released on PyPI.

My question is if there is a technical reason it has not been published? We'd like to use 8.1.7 since it contains some important fixes, but it seems a bit unclear if it's to be considered "production ready" or if it's held back.

We could certainly build it from the repos so PyPI is not a requirement.
Hi,

It is true that the master branch has a 8.1.7.dev.0 string in release.py. This is due to the fact that since I migrated to git a few months ago there has been no official release so the repository still looks like the old SVN where the development was done in the trunk. In the old SVN, every time I did a release a.b.c I tagged in SVN/tags and in the trunk I committed a release.py with a.b.c+1.dev so that people are aware that they are not at the a.b.c anymore.

As you said, there where already some bug fixes done since 8.1.6. There is no technical reason not to do a 8.1.7. I was just hoping to solve a couple of bugs more before I releasing it in PyPI. The main reason I don't do PyPI releases more often is because building PyTango on windows takes a lot of energy.

Feel free to use the master branch (8.1.7.dev) since there were only bug fixes in there.

If it helps I can tag 8.1.7 right now even if there will be no version in PyPI. In the future, after some more bug fixes I can do a 8.1.8 which will be available in PyPI.

Hope it helps.
Tiago

Tiago,

it seems like a good idea to tag the 8.1.7 dev version. I vote for tagging 8.1.7 to make things clearer.

Andy
Thanks for replying, an 8.1.7 tag would be excellent!
I just tagged in github. I had to do a v8.1.8 instead of 8.1.7. I hope it is not a problem for you.

Not a problem at all, thanks a lot!
TCoutinho
I just tagged in github. I had to do a v8.1.8 instead of 8.1.7. I hope it is not a problem for you.

Quick question, what is the official source of PyTango? I was using the svn on soureforge since that is what the main website links to. Is there a better source of 'truth'?

Thanks
Neilen
Edited 8 years ago

Register or login to create to post a reply.