Tango Starter device server compilation with CMake

Hi all,

I am triying to compile Tango Starter (TANGO STARTER url link) but it is impossible. I get this error:

tests@ESHEPLAB2:~/adri_tests/starter-Starter-8.3/build$ cmake ../
– The CXX compiler identification is GNU 11.4.0
– Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
– Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
– Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ - skipped
– Detecting CXX compile features
– Detecting CXX compile features - done
– No build type specified - default is DEBUG
– Found PkgConfig: /usr/bin/pkg-config (found version "0.29.2")
– Checking for one of the modules 'tango'
– Tango not found via pkg-config, falling back to cmake find
– Found ZeroMQ: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libzmq.so
– Found cppzmq: /usr/include/zmq.hpp
– Found omniORB4: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libomniORB4.so found components: COS4 Dynamic4 thread
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.22/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:230 (message):
Could NOT find Tango (missing: Tango_LIBRARY Tango_INCLUDE_DIR) (found
version "Tango_VERSION-NOTFOUND")
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/usr/share/cmake-3.22/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:594 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
TangoCMakeModules/FindTango.cmake:222 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
CMakeLists.txt:25 (find_package)

Even if, I modify the CMakeLists.txt file, I am not able to generate the Makefile.

Does anyone know the way to help me?

Thanks in advance, Adrián.
Does the folder `TangoCMakeModules` in the starter repo contain something? If not, you are missing the submodules. Try `git submodule update –init` to fetch it.
t-b
Does the folder `TangoCMakeModules` in the starter repo contain something? If not, you are missing the submodules. Try `git submodule update –init` to fetch it.

Yes, this folder contains TangoCMakeModules submodule (TangoCMakeModules url link).
  • CODEOWNERS
  • Findcppzmq.cmake
  • FindMySQL.cmake
  • FindomniORB4.cmake
  • FindTango.cmake
  • FindZeroMQ.cmake
  • LICENSE
  • README.md
I copied the files by hand, because I downloaded Tango Starter repository as a compressed file (.zip), and it was impossible to run "git submodule init" command.
Instead of copying files manually you can use https://gitlab.com/tango-controls/starter/-/releases/Starter-8.3/downloads/starter-with-submodules-Starter-8.3.tar.gz which already has the submodule contents in the correct versions.

Do you have cppTango already installed? You can pass in a custom location with `Tango_ROOT` so the commandline looks like ` cmake -B build -S . -DTango_ROOT=/usr/local`. You don't need that for /usr/local though.
t-b
Instead of copying files manually you can use https://gitlab.com/tango-controls/starter/-/releases/Starter-8.3/downloads/starter-with-submodules-Starter-8.3.tar.gz which already has the submodule contents in the correct versions.

Do you have cppTango already installed? You can pass in a custom location with `Tango_ROOT` so the commandline looks like ` cmake -B build -S . -DTango_ROOT=/usr/local`. You don't need that for /usr/local though.

It works!! Thank you!!

Now, I have to cross-compile the same project for ARM, using Buildroot. For that, I have this tangostarter.mk file, which must use CMake to generate the Makefile, and then compile the application, but the part of CMake does not work.

TANGOSTARTER_SITE = https://gitlab.com/tango-controls/starter/-/releases/Starter-8.3/downloads
TANGOSTARTER_SOURCE = starter-with-submodules-Starter-8.3.tar.gz

TANGOSTARTER_INSTALL_TARGET = YES
TANGOSTARTER_AUTORECONF = NO
TANGOSTARTER_LICENSE = GPLv2
TANGOSTARTER_LICENSE_FILES = COPYING
TANGOSTARTER_DEPENDENCIES = cpptango omniorb zeromq cppzmqv490

TANGOSTARTER_CONF_OPTS = \
-DTango_USE_PKG_CONFIG=ON \
-DTango_FORCE_STATIC=OFF \
-DCMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE=true \
-DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=$(BUILD_DIR)/cmake-3.22.3 \
-DTango_ROOT= $(BUILD_DIR)/cpptango \
-DZeroMQ_ROOT=$(BUILD_DIR)/zeromq-4.3.4 \
-Dcppzmq_ROOT=$(BUILD_DIR)/cppzmqv490-4.9.0 \
-DomniORB4_ROOT=$(BUILD_DIR)/omniorb-$(OMNIORB_VERSION_)
define TANGOSTARTER_BUILD_CMDS
$(BUILD_DIR)/cmake-3.22.3/bin/cmake -B $(BUILD_DIR)/tangostarter/build $(TANGOSTARTER_CONF_OPTS) -S $(BUILD_DIR)/tangostarter
$(MAKE) $(TANGOSTARTER_CONF_OPTS) -C $(@D) all
endef

I am not an expert in CMake and it is possible that I am making a mistake.
Thanks in advance!
What is this code snippet exactly supposed to do? Please provide a complete example.

Register or login to create to post a reply.