TAC problem

Maybe there is a misunderstanding.

So, on host from which TAC server is running, it is necessary to set SUPER_TANGO to true?
If that so, you are right, because I thought of variable SUPER_TANGO only as a way to avoid access control if it exists, because in section D.6 page 256 (start TANGO with the controlled access) isn't mentioned anything about this variable.

Now, I have next situation. On host Dell I started TAC (with SUPER_TANGO set to true). With another host called Lens(on which SUPER_TANGO is set to false) I successfully connected to Dell's database.
When I start server from Lens, I am able to read values, but when I want to execute any command or write attributes I get Host name/address cannot be determined !, even though I set that all users have write access.

P.S. From host Dell I can manipulate with servers without problems.

Many thanks,
Dusan
Edited 6 years ago
It is necessary to set SUPER_TANGO=true only for the TAC server.
If you run another device server on the same host as the host where the Tango Access Control device server is running, it should run with SUPER_TANGO env variable unset.
I think you are now encountering the same problem as Chris on the other forum thread you mentioned earlier.
Please have a look at the solution he found to solve this problem (add a new entry in /etc/hosts file for the machines where you want the hostnames to be resolved):
http://www.tango-controls.org/community/forum/c/general/development/tango-access-control/?page=1#post-35

Rosenberg's Law: Software is easy to make, except when you want it to do something new.
Corollary: The only software that's worth making is software that does something new.
So, on host from which TAC server is running, it is necessary to set SUPER_TANGO to true?
If that so, you are right, because I thought of variable SUPER_TANGO only as a way to avoid access control if it exists, because in section D.6 page 256 (start TANGO with the controlled access) isn't mentioned anything about this variable.

I (mis)understood as Dusan.
Tango kernel book mentions environment variable to set at 3 places:
- in TANGO kernel book (7.14.2 page 190 and A.12.3.4 page 221)
- in TAC project page (http://www.tango-controls.org/community/projects/tango-access-control-tac/)

However, it seems not very clear SUPER_TANGO has to be set on the server where runs TAC DS, even if it seems clear now you mention it.

To clarify this point, perhaps a line can be added like "To launch [or run] Tango Access Control DS, SUPER_TANGO environment variable must be set to true".

Another question: should we set this variable just when we launch TAC DS or when we launch and until we stop this DS?
If the DS has been configured to give write access to anyone to any device from everywhere, what is the normal behavior if TAC DS is stopped?

- Philippe
Edited 6 years ago

Register or login to create to post a reply.