max_dim_x and max_dim_y of SPECTRUM and IMAGE attributes

Hi all,

I wonder if using an exaggerated max_dim_x (and max_dim_y) when defining a SPECTRUM (and IMAGE) attribute may have any performance impact when, for example, reading an attribute.

I would assume that not, since these fields are part of the attribute configuration.
But it would be nice if you confirm:)

Many thanks,
Zibi
Hi Zibi,

I wonder if using an exaggerated max_dim_x (and max_dim_y) when defining a SPECTRUM (and IMAGE) attribute may have any performance impact when, for example, reading an attribute.

I don't think this has any impact on performances, unless a specific client is using this configuration value to pre-allocate some (huge) buffers, so this would then affect the memory consumption.

On the server side, if the real attribute value has dim_x and dim_y dimensions lower than max_dim_x and max_dim_y values resp., only dim_x * dim_y data values are sent to the client on the network, not max_dim_x * max_dim_y.
Rosenberg's Law: Software is easy to make, except when you want it to do something new.
Corollary: The only software that's worth making is software that does something new.
Thank you Reynald!

BTW, I have not received an email notification for your answer. I suppose this is not normal. To discard issues with my email client, spam filters, etc. I have now subscribed explicitly to this thread (Subscribe button below the last post). Reynald, could you please write a new test post in this thread to see if now I get it? Thanks!
Hi Zibi,

Here is test post you asked for.
Sorry for the delay.
Rosenberg's Law: Software is easy to make, except when you want it to do something new.
Corollary: The only software that's worth making is software that does something new.
Thanks Reyndald!
I have received this email.
So I think there is something wrong with forum, cause I would expect that the replies to the thread I just created should be sent to me by default.

Register or login to create to post a reply.