Windows Tango installation doesn't move past the Starter step

Hello!

I am having a problem similar to this in most of its part: https://www.tango-controls.org/community/forum/c/general/installation/troubles-upon-installing-mysql-and-tango-server-on-windows10/?page=1#post-4267

I am installing Tango on Windows and I would like to setup a database. I follow this instruction: https://tango-controls.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installation/tango-on-windows.html
I get stuck at the step "Install Starter service:". In my case I "Invoke nssm.exe install Tango-DataBaseds" and then start it, but in Astor the host is still indicated with red like at the image (I don't know what happened with the text):

And from there I can't move forward.
Wherever it is possible, I set port to 20000 instead of 10000. My TANGO_HOST variable is set to 127.0.0.1:20000. Version of MySQL is 5.7

What can be the reason of this issue?
Hi,

In your case you see your host in red because the Starter is not started on your host.
I think there is a copy/paste mistake in the doc.
To configure the Starter service, your should read "Invoke nssm.exe install Tango-Starter" instead of "Invoke nssm.exe install Tango-DataBaseds"

Hoping this helps a bit.
Reynald
Rosenberg's Law: Software is easy to make, except when you want it to do something new.
Corollary: The only software that's worth making is software that does something new.
At first I did this mistake, but then I noticed it and removed what I created and installed Starter, so this step seems to be done correctly.
The Starter instance name (The parameter you pass when you invoke Starter.exe) must correspond to the hostname of the PC where it is running.
Is it the case in your case?
Do you see a Starter process running on your PC?
You need to ensure the TANGO_HOST variable used by the Starter process is correct too.

You could try to run it by hand too at the command line, you might see some errors in the console.

Is your PC really named "ne+bcjj+l cu" ? Probably not.
It looks like you got some issues with the character codesets on astor.
This is probably why we see that strange hostname and "Tango Control System" is not properly displayed at the top of astor.
I've never encountered that problem and I guess it comes from the Java configuration and your locale and operating system charset.
You should probably find a way to tell Java to use UTF-8 for instance as character codeset.
Do you have the possibility to change your operating system charset/locale, even temporarily?

Maybe you could get some advices from the Tango users running Tango on Eastern European countries which might have seen this problem?
Rosenberg's Law: Software is easy to make, except when you want it to do something new.
Corollary: The only software that's worth making is software that does something new.
Another thing to check: did you use
2 -ORBendPoint giop:tcp::20000 
instead of
2 -ORBendPoint giop:tcp::10000 

as argument for the DataBaseds.exe?
Reynald
Is your PC really named "ne+bcjj+l cu" ? Probably not.
I still haven't fixed this problem, but when I hover this name, it shows the correct one.

Regarding the rest, I have 20000 instead of 10000 wherever it is possible and the Starter process is also running. So, I guess, encoding can really be the problem. I will write here once I solve it. Thank you very much for the help!

Register or login to create to post a reply.