HDB++ installation

Hi Lorenzo,

unfortunately it fails:

pc11:~/Downloads$ java -classpath "/usr/share/java/TangORB.jar:/usr/share/java/ATKCore.jar:/usr/share/java/ATKWidget.jar:/usr/share/java/Jive.jar:/usr/share/java/Astor.jar:gui_17.jar" org.tango.hdbcpp.configurator.HdbConfigurator
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: fr.esrf.TangoDs.Except.throw_exception(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)V
at org.tango.hdbcpp.tools.TangoUtils.getConfiguratorDeviceName(TangoUtils.java:187)
at org.tango.hdbcpp.configurator.HdbConfigurator.initOwnComponents(HdbConfigurator.java:104)
at org.tango.hdbcpp.configurator.HdbConfigurator.<init>(HdbConfigurator.java:88)
at org.tango.hdbcpp.configurator.HdbConfigurator.main(HdbConfigurator.java:1000)

I renamed the jar to gui_17.jar and it is in the current dir.

Sandor
Hi Sandor
As I know, HDB++ is developed for Tango-9.
When I started to write jhdbcpp java package, I was already using Tango-9.
And about servers, several bugs found on Tango events (re-connections, multi tango hosts,…) found in using HDB++ have been fixed in Tango-9.

Regards
Pascal
Hi Sandor,
I'm not the java expert but seems to me it has some issues with the ConfigurationManager TANGO device server.
Is it running? Have you specified it? We usually run the Configurator GUI via a shell wrapper to set all
the necessary variables (sample attached, you have to fill TANGO_HOST and HdbManager).

Lorenzo
Hi Pascal,

in some doc found on the net we could see Tango 8 smile
For instance http://icalepcs.synchrotron.org.au/papers/wed3o04.pdf

But if you say that it is designed for Tango 9 then it is also an information for us.

Sandor
Hi again
Your stack trace is really strange.
It seems to mean the String constructor is not found.

Not really a Tango problem.
Which java release launch your gui ?
Hi Lorenzo,

the classpath can be set via env variables as you sent or alternatively in the same command line as I tried to run the program. They are the same.

For me the error message is the same as was mentioned in this topic earlier. The signature of the throw_exception method has been changed between Tango 8 and 9 and the GUI tries to use the new one and fails.

Sandor
Sandor
Hi Pascal,

in some doc found on the net we could see Tango 8 smile
For instance http://icalepcs.synchrotron.org.au/papers/wed3o04.pdf

But if you say that it is designed for Tango 9 then it is also an information for us.

Sandor

Yes, in fact we're running hdb++ with TANGO 8 at Elettra. Nevertheless it's safer
to go for TANGO 9.

Lorenzo
The

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: fr.esrf.TangoDs.Except.throw_exception(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)V

seems to be in the Tango part.

I use Java 1.8 but I do not think it can be a problem.

There is no change on Except.throw_exception() method since years.
At ESRF we have Tango-9 client talking with Tango-6 devices (with execption) without problem.
Sandor
Hi Lorenzo,

the classpath can be set via env variables as you sent or alternatively in the same command line as I tried to run the program. They are the same.

For me the error message is the same as was mentioned in this topic earlier. The signature of the throw_exception method has been changed between Tango 8 and 9 and the GUI tries to use the new one and fails.

Sandor

not the 1.7a jar. That's the one we're using with TANGO 8.

Register or login to create to post a reply.