Antivirus best/existing practices

Hi there,

I know that most of you use Linux based systems but, for those who use Windows like us, I'd like to get feedback from you about antivirus software use (type of software, beahvior, advice …)

Our last feedback when we first tried Tango with our own antivirus (McAfee if I recall) was pretty bad as our devices were randomly impacted and our computers' CPUs were struggling to sustain the load. Then, our systems were made as closed network with very narrow attack angle available.
But our customers that purchased our systems are more and more eager to connect it to their own network despite the risks that anyone on the network may, through any existing loophole, access and control anything on that system. We warned our customers about the risks , however they seems pretty confident in there IT dept., even if their IT guys seems only be worried about the installation of an antivirus software.
And now I have been asked if such software I've never use (SOPHOS) would be OK. Then, before doing an investigation on a commercial software that my company has no license , I wanted to ask your opinion.

Thank you.
Guillaume DI FRANCO
Thales - Software Engineer Manager
It is quite important to implement the right security solutions on your windows. Many times we just do not put effort in research and analyzing own requirement and needs. However, For desktop, laptop, I use, in addition to Defender, Paid MalwareBytes (3 computer version). MWB often alerts on malicious sites. I go lots of places chasing the little rabbits.

For my wife's portable, it's Defender, Mcafee and paid Avast. She's very good about taking her hands off the keyboard and hollering at me if things are not exactly as she expected. Se knows not to click on links she didn't specifically ask for in emails.

I've taught him all I know about phishing and stuff.

I agree that Defender alone is all that's probably necessary, but my career has taught me to be overly cautious. Therefore, i recommend to go with Avast or Malwarebytes. See the comparison here https://www.reviewsed.com/malwarebytes-vs-avast/ and get to know more about them neck to neck in detail..
Edited 3 years ago

Register or login to create to post a reply.