Ubuntu 16.04 problem installing from source code - libmysqlclient replaces libmysqlclient_r

Hi,

on Ubuntu 16.04 the libmysqclient_r.so has been replaced by libmysqlclient.so. In the past the difference between the two libraries was libmysqlclient_r was thread safe and the libmysqlclient was not. Tango used the thread safe version. Since mysql 5.5 there is only one thread safe library called libmysqlclient.so and libmysqlclient_r.so was a symbolic link to libmysqlclient.so. On Ubuntu 16.04 the _r library does not exist anymore. This means if you upgrade Ubuntu the Database device server will not start anymore due to this missing library. In order to rebuild the database device server from the source code installation you need to change the configure script and replace -lmysqlclient_r with -lmysqlclient as follows:

18725c18725
<     MYSQLCLIENT_LIBS="-lmysqlclient"
—
>     MYSQLCLIENT_LIBS="-lmysqlclient_r"

Then run configure, make, make install and everything should be hunky dory again!

For more info about the change in mysql libraries checkout the mysql blog:

http://mysqlserverteam.com/the-client-library-part-3-building-mysql-client-applications/

Andy
Hi Andy,

Where should I make this change? I am getting MYSQL CLIENT LIB : 'empty' in the configuration for tango 9.2.2

Thanks and Regards,
AstroBlogWeb
tango-9.2.2/m4/ac_path_mysqlclient.m4
Hi,
I edited the "_r" for the lmysqlclient part. Still i am unable to connect my MySQL with tango. For mySQL,I use username/password to be : root/password. Tried changing the my.cnf, my.cnf.in files. Also, tried giving the admin/pwd in config command. But, still, I am not able to connect Tango with mySQL.
I herewith attach the script I used for the installation (Config_options_tried : 1 to 4 mentioned at the bottom of the script)

With Regards,
AstroBlogWeb
Hi,
Thanks to Andy, Nicolas and Reynald. Finally, I was able to install tango 9.2.5 on ubuntu 16.04 (fresh, clean install). For freshers, I have made a script (not fully automated :P).
It is available at Tango installation script.
The script is a slight modification of the one Nicolas had posted here on the Forum.
Hope this script helps others.

Astroblogweb. :)
Edited 6 years ago

Register or login to create to post a reply.