Tango git migration

Opening a discussing on the pending proposal to migrate Tango code base to git.

The draft of the proposal can be found in here.

Edited 7 years ago
Hi Tiago,

reading this proposition of moving SVN repo to a DVCS seems a very good idea. This draft is a big work.
I remember suggesting studying alternatives to github in Krakow when we discussed DVCS option.

However, it seems to me that this proposition mixed several options:
- Moving from SVN to some DVCS. It will make it easier to contribute to the tango core system.
This DVCS tool could be git of course, but I did not see any argument which hg or other DVCS tools will not do fit. Does others DVCS have been considered?
- Moving Tango core system to a repo allowing code review and more generally continuous integration and pull request.
It a similar way, such a tool could be a private company tools like github or bitbucket, but it could also even be Gitlab or a RhodeCode instance which would allow a better control on the tool. Does others tools have been considered?

Anyway, great work!

Apart of that, some repo already exist on Github, LImA for instance. I read that you recommend the use of tango-cs and tango-des.
What would be the recommended way for such existing github repo?

- Philippe
I definitly welcome the move from subversion to git.

But the proposal is actually about moving from sourceforge + svn to github + git.
How about making that a two step process? First moving from subversion to git and later on from sourceforge to X.
Although github seems to be the site of choice for many projects, it has serious drawbacks wrt. code review. The only reasonable good solutions for code review are from my POV gerrit and phabricator.
I would like to move one device server to github. This wiki page says:

The other Tango device servers will be migrated in an automated way probably once all the tango-cs projects will have been migrated, unless device servers maintainers want to do the job themselves before like Sergi Rubio did for PANIC software.

To speed-up this process I would like to migrate this server myself. I imagine that the server repo will belong to the tango-controls organization. To add a repo I will need to be member of this organization, isn't it? How can I become a member?
zreszela
To speed-up this process I would like to migrate this server myself. I imagine that the server repo will belong to the tango-controls organization. To add a repo I will need to be member of this organization, isn't it? How can I become a member?

As DeviceServerCatalogue is now operational. You should simply contribute you device server to it pointing to your repo.

This way it is much easier for 3rd party contributions: should not be member of tango-controls; free to choose code and binaries hosting platforms etc. On the other hand we do not pollute tango-controls, as with 100th repositories it will be a nightmare to administrate it and it is unuseable - imagine a newcomer who wants to find something.

So in my opinion: wiki page is outdated. Use DeviceServerCatalogue to contribute. tango-controls is only for system critical servers, like Database, AccessControl etc

Thanks Igor!

Following your proposal I have another question. What will happen with the device servers already present in tango-ds SF? They will stay there and the catalogue will be automatically feed with all of them? And afterwards it is the device server maintainer's decision to migrate the server and update the catalogue accordingly or not to update and stay on SF?
IMHO I would let everything as it is, and ask maintainers to take care about it (add to DeviceServerCatalogue, migrate to git etc). This way we can also find out dead projects, if nobody takes care of them.

Register or login to create to post a reply.